The Importance of Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT)
Tektraco strives to supply, install and maintain medical gas equipment from well known and established UK and EU Manufacturers, however, we still feel that it is very important for a FAT to take place whenever a Major or Critical Project is in Hand.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A FACTORY ACCEPTANCE TEST?
- Conducted at the manufacturer’s site prior to delivery and installation, these tests help to identify any issues and correct them prior to shipment
- Manufacturers and End users are assured that the equipment meets all the contractual specifications and any issues can be addressed before arriving at the customer’s site.
- Rectifying issues while the system is still in the possession of the manufacturer helps to keep the project on track and within
WHAT DOES AN FAT CONSIST OF?
- Comprehensive Inspection– typically Validation and Verification Tests Such as Flow tests, Pressure Tests and Functional Tests, Model and Name Plate Data.
- Contract audit – this consists of a review of the original agreement to make sure all contractual obligations are met.
- Certification Inspection – this consists of collecting and verifying all test results, Manufacturer’s quality certification, Declaration of Conformity and Statement of Compliance.
WHAT ITEMS ARE TYPICALLY ON AN FAT CHECKLIST?
- Applicable standards and specifications;
- Reference Documents;
- Testing equipment – a list of the equipment and instrumentation used during this test such as flow meters, pressure gauges etc. and checking of their calibration certificates.